Sunday 10 November 2013

4a Inquiry update

Well, I'm a bit behind. (Lots of stuff happening. Imminent homelessness being but one) but hopefully I can catch up.
I have restructured my questions.
I originally called my inquiry The Fear of Acting.
But after reading some of the responses I received to my questions by dancers,  I am opening it up to all performers.
Although I have titled it The Fear of...
I am really talking about nerves/confidence. Therefore my questions will now be as follows :
1 When do you experience nerves. At auditions, teaching, or performing?

2 How do your nerves manifest ?

3 What are your coping mechanisms

4 Can your nerves ever be turned into a positive force, if so when and how ?

My plan is to put these questions to three actors in different stages of their careers. One will be an actor just starting out,  another will be predominantly a stage actor, and the last is a tv actor.

1 comment:

  1. I can suffer with nerves and at times be emotional. I would say these are my strengths, because my instinct is stronger and I can be more creative, but I have also had to learn to manage them, to stop my nerves manifesting and turning into stress.In addition be more professional. I have found the reflecting part of this course very helpful and writing down what my fears might be, and addressing them as well as reflecting my day. I am finding it easier to direct and control my nerves and emotions (energy levels) and direct them in a positive force. It might even be worth looking at singers and dancers who put their nervous energy into there routine and performance. Perhaps have a look at the life story of Billy Elliot - He is probably a good example of nervous energy (Fire in the Belly) and having to learn to channel/direct it into his performance. He was very good! But would he have been as good without his nerves?

    I would also suggest you join the Facebook SIG ' SIG Module 2' as well as the one you have joined. I am also a bit like you where my inquiry is different and I have a different Art Form, at the moment people are just helping with elements of the course. I am also started to see I have more similarities with the dancers than I first thought, and not just the teaching element. Furthermore based on your inquiry, I would join the SIG that is full of dancers and ask them yours questions?!

    ReplyDelete