Sunday 17 November 2013

6b Critical Reflection on Research Tools

I think I got carried away on my explanation in 6a, and so some of my points in 6a will be repeated here in a more detailed form.

Observation.

Observation is a great data collection tool, be it, recorded in notes, video, or audio.
Informing the candidate of your intentions would be the first step, and gaining permission to use the data. Also, if the data is of a sensitive nature, you must be prepared that the candidate will want the information gathered, removed at anytime. This of course can happen with any data gathered. But when it comes to a educational course that depends on me completing an inquiry, I would rather lessen the risk of having to abort part of the project under such time restraints.
Also, with observational reflection, I feel you also run the risk of misinterpreting some of the indicators. For example, I may assume from someones body language that they are nervous/worried, and put that in my inquiry, only to find out that was not the case.
For the purpose of my inquiry, I will observe. However, I am interested in the verbal responses, and should I notice any physical indicators, they can influence my line of questioning, but will not be critiqued in my inquiry. I am aware that I will be asking Actors to talk about personal issues. These may elicit different reactions. I'm not convinced that recording how happy/upset someone was when I posed a question, will help other actors to learn from, and identify with, the verbal answers.
Observation would be an effective tool if I was in a production with my candidates. I could then observe their reactions within the performance environment. But this could be a problem. When Actors are about to shoot a scene or take to the stage, the last thing they want is someone asking them "how they feel." I think I will get more out of the candidates when they can review the experience in retrospect.

The Inquirer as a Participant Observer or Inside Researcher.

My research will not only involve emotions (fear, anxiety) but also different working environments within the profession (audition room, theatre, tv, film). This is so I can investigate if nerves have a direct correlation to the environment.
As the Reader stated, the majority of Inquirers will be regular participants in the practice researched.
I will understand many of the contexts referred to by my 'sample', having worked in the same environments. And not only will I be member of the same community,  but many of my interviewed candidates will be close friends.
I think the fact that I am an active member of the same profession will hold me in good stead, as I will understand the current events and feelings within our community.
The fact that I have a personal relationship with my candidates will mean there is an instant bond/rapport between us. However, this may seem like a plus on the surface, but could prove to be a negative. I will be asking personal questions of my work colleagues,  and they may find it hard to open up. It's not always easy to talk about a shared experience with someone who was there and admit you were nervous, scared, frightened.
I think my research will mean I am an inside researcher to a point, as I will be giving my own account of my experiences. I will also review the interviews and comment on them.
I feel a semi structured approach will be more beneficial. If I am able to refer to some of my own fears and doubts during the interview,  it may make the candidate more willing to reveal theirs. Of course this insider approach means I must be weary at all times that my dialogue with the candidate is not tainting the information. It means playing the role of interviewer and participant. This requires a firm grasp of objectivity.

Interviews.

The interview process will be at the core of my investigation.
I will pick three candidates based on their knowledge and experience within the field. This does not necessarily mean I am going to pick the candidate with the most extensive knowledge, or the longest serving within the profession.
My inquiry will encompass actors at different stages in their careers, and, where possible,  different acting disciplines, such as theatre and film.
The interviews will take place, face to face, in a relaxed environment of the candidate's choosing. All ethical reassures will be expressed, so as to put the interviewee at ease.
The interview will then proceed in a semi-structured form. Introductory questions will be closed, merely requiring a yes or no response. Secondary questions will be open. This will allow the candidate the freedom to answer the topic in greater detail. Open questions will also afford me the opportunity to ask linking question, that can further the study.

Focus group.

Gathering members of the same community in one room, and discussing the inquiry topic, would be beneficial. The group would act as its own support system. This means that the individual candidates may feel more comfortable in numbers, and the more comfortable they are, the more chance they will open up, and express feelings and  opinions they would be reluctant to broach in a one on one interview. The group discussion would take on a more organic approach, it would evolve as it went along. However, I would have to choose my candidates wisely, as many of my colleagues are very confident, opinionated individuals. This is great for firing up a Q&A session. However, they can also prove detrimental to the process, as their strong personalities may guide the session away from its intended course. Unfortunately, the logistics of getting a group of actors together in one room (apart from a theatre group) would prove difficult.
As my inquiry will only have a small number of candidates, and will take a more intimate, approach, I have decided a focus group may not be a viable tool in this instance. However, if the chance to conduct one arises, I will do it.

Journal and Diary

I feel a journal would also be beneficial to the inquiry. Interviews will not be in quick succession. This will allow me to record my reflective journey from one interview to the next. Each interview may influence me, make me rethink my position, my understanding of  nerves. I hope through my inquiry to discover things about my profession, and about myself. The journal will be the best way to document this.

Analysing Data

To aid in my inquiry I will seek out data from books and articles. This data will have to be treated carefully. I will need to determine whether the data has merit - if it is relevant to my inquiry, and if the information provided is from a legitimate source.
I will use the knowledge gleaned from this data to bolster my inquiry, by means of cross referencing. I will be looking for patterns or trends within the material, and see if my candidates express the same views. I want the data to run side by side with my inquiry, not to dominate it. Therefore, selection of complementary material is a must. However, if I find data that goes against the grain, I will need to carefully consider how best to introduce in into the research.

No comments:

Post a Comment