Saturday 16 November 2013

6a Inquiry

I have read the Reader 6. This has been beneficial in bringing to my attention the nuances of structuring an Inquiry.
On Thursday 13th Nov 2013, I conducted an informal interview. This was a one on one interview - a exploratory conversion using my structured questions as a springboard. I found this approach to be more useful to me than a quantitative approach using a questionnaire. True, I had structured questions and some of them were closed questions, but they were merely used as an introduction to open questions. I also found the semi-structured approach meant that if the "sample " candidate mentioned something interesting that related to my Inquiry - but had not been accounted for in my questions - I could follow this new line of questioning. As I am dealing with emotional responses in my inquiry, the qualitative approach to data collection seems more appropriate at this stage. It was also interesting to observe body language during the interview. However, I'm slightly weary of including in in my reports, as I feel I may not be qualified to interpret it correctly.
Interestingly, during the interview my position / role changed. Instead of just being the interviewer, I found myself becoming a participant, as we both discussed the issues raised, and both tried to find answers through mutual opinion and hypothesis. Although, I was mindful of Reflexivity, and always suggested things  in the guise of another open question. Yes, I dictated the topic of conversation ( so that the interview never lost its objective) but never its content.
The results were nothing like I expected. However, they did add an interesting view point to my subject for inquiry. I therefore feel, a qualitative semi structured interview (preferably face to face) is the ideal method of data collection from the sample candidates in my inquiry.

No comments:

Post a Comment