Monday 11 November 2013

5a Ethics

Ethics is a tough one. As I formulate my inquiry I must be mindful of the ethical safe-guards that need to be in place. These safe-guards not only protect my work, but also give the contributors to my inquiry peace of mind. I say this because, if I proceed with my inquiry based on nerves/fear of performance, I am tapping into something quite personal, and to some performers, sacred. Not everyone is willing to disclose the mental chinks in their armour. Performers at best are an odd lot. We will tell ourselves many strange things before we enter an audition or take to the stage, in an attempt to boaster our confidence. Things we don't necessarily want to share. Also there is the superstition element. It is said when using "Emotional Recall" that if someone in the audience knows what memory you are using, that memory loses its power and becomes ineffectual. It is therefore reasonable to assume that some actors will feel the same about revealing their coping mechanisms.
Let's assume I have been given permission by an actor to use material gathered in a question and answer session.
Firstly, I must make sure I stay on topic - only asking the questions relevant to my inquiry.
I must not judge the answers given, instead respected them for what they are. I say this because a fellow actor recently answered my questions, and the first answer out the gate was "I don't get nervous."
I immediately sunk in my chair - we were of to a great start. But the more I listened, the more I learned that this particular actor experienced other things before taking to the stage. Things that differed to my preconceived notion of how these questions and answers would play out.
This brings me to the next ethical point. The answers given must be included in the study, no matter if they seem to steer your inquiry in a different direction. You cant predict the outcome of your investigation. Neither should you try to fit the facts to your inquiry. The eventual evolution of your inquiry - is the inquiry.
Lastly, consent and data protection.
I must reassure my candidates that any material gathered will be used for the purpose of my inquiry within the university, and not for wider publication. This can be achieved with a consent form, a guarantee. I imagine
I would also have to guarantee that, should the candidate want their contribution removed from the study at any point, this would be implemented. This brings me to a grey area at present. If the contributor wants to remain anonymous, does that affect the credibility of my study?
I am toying with the idea of changing my inquiry to Confidence Through Drama. I could still use evidence I have collated, but if I was to proceed with this new inquiry it would now possibly include the experiences of child. This presents another series of ethics. Not only would I need to gain parent permission before asking any questions, but for legal reasons the parents would need to be present.
Whatever the nature of my inquiry, once it is over I need to dispose of the material gathered, responsibly.
If this has been gathered on Dictaphone, the recording must be erased. Likewise any material stored on computer must be wiped from the hard drive. Written material can either be returned to the individual contributors or shredded.

No comments:

Post a Comment