Tuesday 23 April 2013

That's not what I wrote.

Recently wrote the script for The London 48hr Sci Fi Film Challenge. Basically you are given a title, a line of dialogue, and a prop. You then have to produce a finished film in 48 hours.
The director was using Stage combat trained actors, so she said I had to include a chase and a fight (two things I'm loathed to put in a short film, because they take up precious storytelling time. While a chase or fight is taking place effectively the story stops. It only starts again with the outcome of said chase or fight.
Unfortunately a timed film challenge is a series of compromises. Due to time, actors were not able to learn all the lines, so some important ones were cut. Then some vital shots were not secured, and of course this was all before the editor got to work.
At the time I felt frustrated and, yes, angry. Now I have excepted that on a timed film challenge, the first casualty is the script..
So what is on screen is my story, just not necessarily told the way I would have liked. Oh well.
 http://vimeo.com/63572559

3 comments:

  1. Hi joe! Well done on the film. I can understand your frustrations but have to say honestly the script was my favourite part of the film. I'd love to collaborate with you on something one day. I'm getting an updated showreel put together once this module is complete and I have some time again. I'll forward you the link when it's complete maybe and she if your interested in working together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried to reply. Not sure it got through.
      Collaboration sounds cool.
      Look forward to showreel.

      Delete
  2. Hi Joe,

    Enjoyed the film. It's amazing how you can tell a short story in just a few minutes with a meaningful conclusion...even if it's not told exactly how you wanted!

    Carla x

    ReplyDelete