Sunday 21 April 2013

Task 3a Network

The network is an important tool in broadening  our working experience and maintaining longevity in our career.

This is a list of connections in my network.

Agent.
I signed with my agent in 2010, after my showcase.
I had a couple of offers and went with the one that seemed most in tune with what I wanted to achieve in my career.
My agent is probably the most important person in my network, as she deals with the industry on a daily bases and can put me up for jobs, I otherwise might not get an audition for.
An agent is a conduit to a larger network, as essentially her network becomes your network albeit through her.

Spotlight.
Being a member of Spotlight is invaluable whether you have an agent or not. Anyone who is anyone is on Spotlight. Which makes it an even playing field.
By this I mean, your photo and profile in the Spotlight book, sits next to headshots of more established performers. Even with the advent of the internet, some directors still physically trawl through the Spotlight book.

Casting Call Pro. Let It Cast. Casting Network.
These are all internet sites I am a member of. Casting Call Pro is a site where I have gotten most of my work (you cannot leave it up to your agent to find you all your work, when you are not an established actor or have what's know as a "starting agent").
These sites are a potential networking tool to the world (Let It Cast, being an international site.)

Collegues/ Peers
Collegues from drama school are a great networking source. They have performed with you and know your abilities. I have secured many acting opportunities through friends who have recommended me to a director. This networking through others is just as valid as networking one on one. Its like your extended network has a life of its own.

Directors and Writers.
I always exchange email addresses with directors I work with, and keep an eye out for their future projects. Also, that director may suggest you to someone else for a part, so its always worth staying on their "radar." New writers are also a good networking source, as you never know if the next time they write a character they might have you in mind for it.

Twitter /Facebook.
Social websites are an important networking tool.
Both my accounts are set up to represent me as the professional actor first, and my social personality second. Twitter has become the new business card for me. Often I will exchange twitter email address as a way of increasing my network. Plus, a simple comment on someone's twitter page puts you back in the forefront of their mind.

Some of my colleagues have been more pro active in their approach to networking.
For example, some have posted showreels on You Tube and Facebook or attached links to twitter. A couple of fellow actors have written and performed their own comedy sketch show, which can be found on You Tube.
I think using social sites in this way can maximize your exposure.
Plus anything you produce, then becomes a representation of your work, a calling card.
Other fellow actors will attend shows, and seek out the director in the bar afterwards or simply look up new productions in development and write to the director.

My ideal network would be bigger and more varied, expanding into other art forms. I would like my network to include practitioners of other arts, so as to increase my opportunities to incorporate different mediums with performance. I would also like to make connections with teachers of drama, as it is an area in which I hope to work.
At present my network is quite small and select. I say select, because networking is a bit of a stumbling block for me, and an area where I need to improve.
I am by nature a very shy person.
When I was attending drama school, I would often keep to myself. (This all stems from personal issues which I will not go into here). I did well in class, and for me that was good enough. My work spoke for me. Of course in the real world, having an ability is not enough, you need to tell people about it.
We had classes on networking, so I knew it was something I would have to partake in, I just avoided it as long as possible.
Now days I understand the importants of networking, and take comfort in the knowledge that some of my acting friends who are very good at it, still dread it.
So, my approach to invigorating my network would be as follows:
I need to banish any preconceived ideas I had about networking, and just except it as another part of the job.
I need to attend more events /shows (luckily a friend who networks this way has invited me along next time).
I need to make the effort and contact my existing network via social sites, so as not to lose contact altogether.
Joining The Actors Centre is not only a great place to brush up on your craft, but is a great place to meet directors and fellow actors. Our drama school mentioned this in a networking class, so I should follow their advice.
I also have written an episodic project I hope to appear in on You Tube. Not only will it serve as a promotional vehicle for me, it will also mean working with some new people, new editions to the network.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you on attending more events/shows. I think that so much of our networking is based around the internet that we sometimes forget to get out there and just mingle.

    ReplyDelete