Friday 5 April 2013

Task 2b Journal writing experience

I am now writing my journal, and have tried out the suggestions in WBS3730 guide, with varying degrees of success.
Description:  As I enjoy writing, stories, the idea of establishing : what, where and when, was a matter of instinct when writing my journal. Plus, it gave each documented experience, context. Very important if I wish to refer back to the experience at a later date.
Initial Reflection: The questions raised in this suggestion, not only formed the building block for each journal entry, but seemed to cycle around, in situations where a experience contained twists and turns, new events, mini experiences informing the larger experiences.
Lists: I thought the idea of the list was a non starter for me, as I like sentence structure, a logical descriptive passage. However, I applied it to a piece of "reflective writing in anticipation of an event" and found the results very interesting. Looking back on the list, I was surprised at how logical it was. It had a path, it evolved as I was writing. What did become apparent was the fear of failing and the thoughts of success, appeared more than once in the list. Reasoning with my demons and allowing myself to indulge in the notion of triumph, seemed to be an on -going battle. It is in my head, so why shouldn't it be so on paper?
Evaluation: I found myself evaluating as I went along, documenting the experience. I will  try this as a form of closing statement, a general summing. A weakness I have with evaluation, is if something has gone well, I give it a mental tick and store it away. I seem to only reflect on things that need to be improved upon.
Graphs, Charts and Diagrams: This was the hardest form for me to adopt. Graphs and Charts, leave me cold. For me, the reflective process is organic, writing is organic. Graphs and Charts are clinical. Besides, if I want to reference the material later, a well structured sentence can transport me right back into the event the mood, the feelings. No graph is going to evoke that in me.
Diagrams, however I can use (in conjunction with a text.) I found the only way for me to do a diagram was to transfer the information, first generated in list form and identify similarities, family groupings. These I then boxed as off-shots of a central axis: The experience.
What If: As an user of Stanislavsky's "Magic If", I found the "what if" approach invaluable.
Here you can play out the scenario as many times as you like, evaluating and refining or pushing the parameters and observing.  For me, this is the most powerful tool in the reflective/ learning process.
Another view: Is another useful tool. Viewing the situation through someone else's eyes helps me to appreciated their point of view and also understand how my opinions and actions may be perceived by others.
I did not use this as the sole point of view in a journal entry, but as part of an account. This is also another way I play out scenarios in the "What if" approach.
Another view is a useful aid, as long as you are able to make an intelligent, rational, realistic characterization of the person in question. This is why I keep away from points of view of bags and tables.
The journal writing has proved an eye opener and an asset.
I will continue with the things that I feel are the body of a journal :  Description, initial reflection, and now include What If and Another View to fully explore each experience/ event.

No comments:

Post a Comment