Sunday 14 April 2013

Task 2d Inquiry

What in your daily practice gets you really enthusiastic to find out more about?
Who do you admire who also works with what makes you enthusiastic?

I guess the thing that I am enthusiastic about in my journey as a actor and writer is imagination and realism.
From an acting point of view I think it is important to exercise your imagination, we did it as children. Now we are playing pretend for a living, so I think its important to still "oil the engine."
I observe people, listen to the rhythm of their voice, watch their mannerisms, posture etc. As a character actor it is important for me to try other peoples "skin on" as it were. My favourite character actors use many tools to help them realise a character. Method acting and emotional recall are two practices which I use. I often visit locations (especially historical ones) that may stir some feeling in me. I read up on old events, and if I'm in a production at the time , I will keep a little black book. This is a book made up of photos or written passages that will produce an emotional response from me if I look at it. No one else can look at it, if they do ,I have to produce a new book. I have done this ever since I saw Gary Oldman use it.
http://www.interviewmagazine.com/film/gary-oldman-phil-joanou/#_

I'm fascinated by these and other ways into performance. Sense memory/ muscle memory is something else I practice as advocated by the late great Uta Hagen.
http://www.gyford.com/phil/writing/2006/05/08/respect_for_act.php

Another one of my acting inspirations, Michael Keaton, began his career working in a small tv studio. When everyone else had gone home, he would set up a camera and a monitor , and act. He wanted to see what worked and what didn't work on camera. I now film monologues, and general reaction, on my phone, for the same reason.
These are things I practice, (as well as reading up and trying any new approaches)  because I am on a constant journey to find the truth in my performance and to be as good as the actors who inspire me.

What gets you angry or makes you sad?

I think its the lack of pace in my career. I only graduated 2010, and although  I've been reminded that "it's a marathon not a sprint", I still cant help feeling a little frustrated. I originally only started writing to create vehicles for my acting. However recently people have wanted my scripts, but with other actors. I have yet to get a decent acting role, and by decent I mean one where I get to play a substantial character.
I admire my friends from drama school, who are in the same situation. They too, are trying other ways to get their work out there. I also admire some of the name actors who we think always did well.
Morgan Freeman started acting in the 60's and got his big break in the 80's.
Tom Hanks was unemployed for a year in LA, because no one would hire him.

What do you love about what you do? Who do you admire who also seems to love this or is an example of what you love?

I love acting, I love the chance to pretend. I remember growing up and seeing different professions on tv, and thinking I wish I could be a .....policeman, doctor, secret agent, monster.(ok monsters not a profession, but you get the idea) And now I can be all those things and more. I also like the friendship and team work involved in putting on a show. Plus creative environments are so much more interesting to work in. They can be just as stressful as any other, but ultimately more rewarding. Lastly, I just love being able to say "I'm an actor."

"..It takes a little bit of discipline, but more than anything else it takes this degree of perseverance that ultimately is not your measure of who you are as an artist, but its a measure of what you are as a professional...and that's hard...because there is nothing greater than being able to say I'm a professional actor, and I will be till the day I die."

Tom Hanks, when asked how to persevere with acting.
Inside the Actors Studio aired 1999

What do you feel you don't understand? Who do you admire who does understand it or who has found a way of not understanding it interesting?

How to overcome my fear of failure when faced with a new acting project. At this stage I have reasoned and reflected on it. However the irrational feeling of inadequacy still looms. I have read about other actors I admire feeling the same. This fear of not being good enough, the fear of coming across as fake, the fear of being "found out." I feel I could possibly do better work if I could get rid of it. I believe it would help me to loosen up and take chances.
Actors from Meryl Streep to Jack Nicholson have all admitted to nerves and sense of failure before projects, but I guess they control it or compartmentalise it. Nicholson has said in interviews, he is nervous right up until the director calls "action." Unfortunately as forthcoming as actors are with this info they never explain how they deal with it. I guess it's like any emotional thing, we deal with it in our own private way.

I suppose my question would be titled : The many faces of  fear in acting.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jo,

    How are you?

    I love this about Tom Hanks and Morgan Freeman.
    Tom Hanks is one of my favourite actors and it's encouraging to discover that these great actors did not always have the fast moving paced career that they have today.

    For dancers it is exactly the same and it is difficult to not let yourself get disheartened. But I think we, actors, dancers, performers, have to keep on pushing and realise what's happening in the present is not our future. We don't know what that future holds and the only way to get there is through perseverance.

    Carla x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete