Tuesday 12 March 2013

Script Doctor : Not struck off, just ticked off.

I mentioned that I had self- appointed myself (I stress the self-appointed) Script Doctor on an impending short film. I waited to see if any of my ideas had made it into the final script.
So it was with a sense of curiosity and a little excitement, I opened the script attachment sent to my phone on Saturday morning.
All my ideas were included, bar one. But scenes I had written to replace existing scenes, now sat next to the previous material, jostling for attention, and in affect making the scenes twice as long.
Plus, jokes I had written, were included, but with bits tagged on to the punchline.
I threw my arms in the air, fell to my knees and cried "Nooooooooo."
OK. I was in the food court of a shopping centre, so I didn't do that-but you get the point.
Why did I care so much? It was not my project to start off with.
But, they were my words, damn it.
I had joined the project. Entered the creative slipstream. My words, my actions weaved through the fabric of the story.
I went through frustration, disappointment and finally acceptance. Acceptance, because for all my righteous indignation, I came back to the same fact : It was not my project to start off with.

1 comment:

  1. Joe - the real world - interesting tale and good to see writing made a difference.

    ReplyDelete