Sunday 24 February 2013

Web 2.0

So I finally set up my blog, my twitter account and my flickr account. Was it an easy experience?
On the whole Id have to say, yes. The initial set up was plain sailing. Where I feel I struggled was personalising the blog, ie backgrounds, links. I already have a Facebook account, but it is a bare-bones presentation.
The reader mentioned  "produsage", the process where by someone is both user and producer.
I feel if you use a Web 2.0 platform for professional purposes, production is everything.
No longer is it good enough to be an actor, now you must be a web designer as well.
True, the makers of these platforms make it fairly easy for you to produce a half decent layout, however unlike a social networking site, I feel your presentation greatly reflects on you as a professional.
I recently changed my Facebook page. Originally it was for social interaction, now it is for professional usage. This means if any comment are placed on the page that do not present me in a positive professional light, I delete them. I have consciously become presenter, editor and indeed censor of the information that flows through that page. You could argue that this type of practice leads to sanitisation, but I do leave some of my friends comments on there to give a sense of personality. My point is, I'm still aware of being "select" in my approach.. I am creating an image, a representation of how I wished to be viewed in the professional arena.
Am I happy about this?
Not at all. I'm an actor, not a politician. Modern times demand I embrace web platforms or be left behind. I have molded a representation of myself, and in turn, by outside influences ie social etiquette  and   professional expectation, been molded.
Twitter, is a similar case, but I prefer this platform to any other currently available.
Once again, I use it as a networking tool. In fact, yesterday, I was in the company of an actor and a director , and whilst swapping twitter account addresses, the director remarked how years ago we would have handed out business cards, and now it's twitter details.
When I set up the account I simply wrote in the profile: Actor. Writer.
Within a week I had connected with casting web sites, fellow actors and directors. With that two word profile, my account had organically shaped itself into an arts community.  Such is the power of Web 2.0
Lastly. the blog. The blog as a platform is my biggest fear and is the one area of communication I will abandon after the course. Why? Because as a actor/writer I understand storytelling. I understand how to put it down on paper and how to get it across to an audience. But a blog requires me to be factually insightful and cerebral. Two things I feel I'm not fully qualified to do. Therefore at the risk of damaging my professional image, I will discard it.......can't have anything jeopardize by political career now, can I?

6 comments:

  1. Fully qualified to do? reputation - yes... there you would have the evidence - but qualified to write a blog - web 2.0 says we are all qualified? You might network using other devices or social media...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "All qualified". If the dialogue follows certain constructs. Otherwise it disintegrates to the level of a facebook post.
    People have been given a platform of communication on a world wide scale. People who think " I had a nice dinner it was yum" constitutes as news.
    It has given some a stage to project their ego into the stratosphere.
    I may have a voice, but shouldn't I only use it if I have something interesting to say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogs are different for everyone even though I am very new to writing a more professional blog, I am Facebook fan. You have a lot to say, and I am enjoying reading your blog. If you understand storytelling as an actor, then why not write a story? At my last school we had a storyteller come to our school and he was brilliant, 'a staff training day' and for the children. Story Blogging, is creative way of writing. So I am going to challenge you to write a story using the words 'dinner' 'box' 'key' 'cup'and 'blog'?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a great idea, but for this course it is my understanding the blogs have to be factual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the blog filled with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. Now my task has become as easy as ABC. hire seo expert in singpapore

    ReplyDelete