Sunday 17 February 2013

Is there a (script) Doctor in the house?

A group of film makers I usually work with are about to make a short, based on a script they wrote. I was sent the script.
I read it, and to be honest I was not taken with it.
I could have left it there, however I thought I'd set myself a challenge.
As there was no role for me in the story, I took on the one of Script Doctor.
Now, I had written fully fledge scripts before, but this was a new creative discipline for me; to take somebody else's material and attempt to improve it, whilst retaining the tone, and through- line of the piece.
First, I took the overall pacing of the script and then broke it down into scenes, identifying clunky or superfluous dialogue. This often disrupts the flow/rhythm of the scene.
I re-wrote the beginning and gave the end a more satisfying conclusion.
I also gave examples of where the humour of the piece could be tighten.
Will any of it make the final cut? Only time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Joe - I went to an event last year where it was mentioned that today's actor is now being trained in writing because often there was the need to multitask - and as you have given us insight into - work with the opportunities that are presented to you. It sounds like you have a good working group however, important in an uncertain world. Good to see the blog up and running. Stephanie is an actor and is back as a finalisthttp://stephaniethomas-blog.blogspot.co.uk - she has commented on my blog several times http://paulanottingham.blogspot.co.uk. Come visit and comment.

    ReplyDelete